The Apollo Theater and the Manhattan School of Music in New York collaborated and announced the first show of “Ask Your Mama” crafted by Emmy Award-winning composer Laura Karpman and Grammy winner Jessye Norman will be on March 23, 2013 for Apollo’s 2012-13 season. “Ask Your Mama” is a 90-minute sonic tapestry of music, film, and spoken word by EmmyAward- winning composer Laura Karpman based on Langston Hughes’s “Ask Your Mama: 12 Moods for Jazz” that bursts the boundaries of time, place, and verbal expression to trace the currents and tributaries of cultural diasporas. This is the first time the work is being performed at the Apollo stage, a fitting home for the piece as it is just blocks away from the Harlem home of Langston Hughes, one of the foremost figures in the Harlem Renaissance. The performance will feature the Manhattan School of Music Chamber Sinfonia conducted by George Manahan, who also conducted the sold-out world premiere at Carnegie Hall and a subsequent performance at the Hollywood Bowl. The Apollo is a national treasure that has had significant impact on the development of American culture and its popularity around the world. Tickets are $35, $55, $75 and $125 (VIP Tickets) and will go on sale Monday, Nov 19th at 10 a.m. through Ticketmaster. Visit www.apollotheater.org.
Multicultural Entertainment News
Multicultural Entertainment News is a special edition of MMRnews featuring news about theater, film, music, dining and entertainment events and entertainment marketing news with a multicultural focus. It covers audience and outreach campaigns aimed at markets including Hispanics, African Americans, Asian Americans, women, GLBT and people with disabilities. Sign up to subscribe to MMRnews.
News Blurb: The Apollo Announces a Special Engagement of “Ask Your Mama” with Jessye Norman and the Roots, March 23rd, NYC
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.
- News Blurb: The Film Society of Lincoln Center Announces Lineup for the 21st Edition of “Spanish Cinema Now”, December 7-16
- News Blurb: World Premieres in Dance, Music and Opera Anchor Harlem Stage’s 30th Anniversary Season, NYC
- News Blurb: The Apollo Announces a Special Engagement of “Ask Your Mama” with Jessye Norman and the Roots, March 23rd, NYC
- News Blurb: 13th New York International Latino Film Festival Returns, August 13-19, NYC
- News Blurb: The Apollo Cultural Exchange Series Presents A Celebration of June’s Black Music Month Starring African Reggae Star Tiken Jah Fakoly, June 16th, NYC
- News Blurb: The Broadway League Launched Viva Broadway, NYC, May 11
- 11th Annual Tribeca Film Festival, April 18 – April 29, NYC
- News Blurb: “Una Noche” and “Babygirl” are stand outs at the 2012 Tribeca Film Festival, NYC, April 19-27
- News Blurb: A Spanish Comedy, “Casa de mi Padre” Opens Friday, March 16, 2012, Nationwide
- The Film Society of Lincoln Center Presents the 20th edition of Spanish Cinema Now